Saturday, September 19, 2009

Celluloid Anticipation (Part One)

Some movies I'm really looking forward to, inspired by a comment on my posting about Jane Eyre...


Dorian Gray, based on the novel by Oscar Wilde. Starring Ben Barns (who was the title character in Prince Caspian last year), Colin Firth (most famous as Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice but also of Love Actually --one of my favorite films--as well as Bridget Jones' Diary) and the lovely Rachel Hurd Wood. She was Wendy in the life action Peter Pan a few years back, followed up by An American Haunting and the strange but fascinating Perfume. The trailer gives an indication that they're making the story probably more elaborate, with some cool special effects. If I'm correct, this probably has to do with exactly what happened once Dorian actually went to see his portrait with a dagger in hand. We'll see if I'm right.

The Wolf Man is a remake of the 1940 classic, starring four actors I admire immensely: Benecio del Toro, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt and of course Hugo Weaving. Interesting how the remakes of the classic Universal monster movies have been coming out now for about twenty years -- Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc. What saddens me is that only the very worst of them has seen any sequels! Maybe that will be different this time. From what I understand, del Toro is a huge fan of the original film, even collects memorabilia about it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part One is due November, 2010. I've enjoyed all the films to some extent or other, and will almost certainly like this one. Some, at least. Honestly, HBP was a bit of a disappointment in some ways, almost as much as GOF. But seeing Cieran Hinds as Dumbledore's brother will be worth it, as well as Jaime Campbell Brower as Grindelwald and Bill Nighy as the new Minister of Magic. Here is my prediction about where the "break" will come between the two parts of DH -- I think it will happen after Ron rejoins them and destroys the Horcrux. We'll see...

2 comments:

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Hi Zahir. Dorian Grey does look interesting but I kind of talked myself into not going to the cinema and waiting for the dvd/tv appearance... Wolfman looks absolutely marvelous and is a definite must go the cinema...

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping to see 'Dorian Gray' this week - didn't bother to go and see the last 'Harry Potter' after my kids were a bit underwhelmed by it, but Hinds as Dumbledore's brother certainly sounds intriguing! Judy