Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Grail Project (Fringe Review)

Spoilers ahoy!

Up until seeing this show, The Grail Project, I had only seen one piece of theatre dealing with the legends of King Arthur that seemed actually "good."  Now I have seen two!

I had never also heard of this specific troupe/ensemble, the Theatre Movement Bazaar, aptly named and based on this show at least belonging in those theatrical troupes I follow eagerly!

Written by Richard Alger, directed by Tina Kronis, this show re-invents/de-constructs the tale of Camelot and the Quest for the Holy Grail through about a dozen different lenses, each complementary as well as delightful.  Folk music, elaborate dance/movement pieces, corporate planning sessions, feminist conspiracies--all fodder in a roller coaster of intertwined plotlines and character arcs.  Imagine Game of Thrones level of complexity but with a light touch (and less incest--which is to say, some but not a lot).

Having sadly lost my program, I cannot easily call out each individual cast member, but the truth is--they all were stand-outs, all gave it their all in a finely crafted whirlwind of movement, song, scenes and speeches.  The best praise I can offer is that I never once stopped feeling delighted surprise, while never once feeling anything was out of place.  Never even once. 

So far (as of June 12, 2012) this is one of my two faves at this year's Fringe.  The other is Orangutan.

The Grail Project plays Friday June 14 2019, 11:55 PM and Saturday June 15 2019, 11:55 PM at The Broadwater Main Stage 1076 Lillian Way, Hollywood CA.

No comments: